AMA: Ask the Spook

Here, you're welcome to start a thread for others to ask you anything they might want to know about you! Within reason, of course!
Spook of the lost

Re: AMA: Ask the Spook

Post by Spook of the lost »

from scratch? or in general?

my first repair was back in 2004 I was 11
my first build however was 2008 or 9 when I was about 14.
I'd built it out of a bunch of dead machines my uncle gave me to tinker with.
in 2011 I'd started working a job and built a new computer, the parts of which are now in my grandfather's machine.
and my most recent monster of a machine was built in 2013... I really don't have any reason to upgrade it... it'd cost me over $1K to beat it with current tech.
word count: 104
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Do you think inflation is a big issue with tech?
word count: 10
Spook of the lost

yes, definitely, though for the most part it's kept costs relatively the same that's largely because parts have become cheaper over all but inflation counterbalances this.

a decent low end CPU cost as much when I first built a computer as it does now, in fact a little more but the price to performance ratio has changed dramatically.

what affects technology more than inflation though is tarifs, china makes the vast majority of subcomponents used in most of our tech, tarifs make it more expensive to get the parts from there, and things cost more elsewhere because they aren't setup to manufacture stuff like china is since the industry has had a long time to mature.

if you want a really good look at the technological component markets in china, and especially the heart of it shenzen, I highly reccomend strange parts on youtube.
he's an american who lives there and makes stuff in a place where he can go down the street and buy a CPU or a phone camera or whatever he needs and is documenting the place heavily.
word count: 185
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Have you ever thought of making a youtube channel?
word count: 9
Megan
Mod
Mod

Post by Megan »

What is your favorite food?
word count: 5
Spook of the lost

@ juneberry: I actually have one... but I'm terrible at videos lol.
@ megan: that's an easy one, Blueberries followed by carrot cake and smoked oysters.
word count: 26
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I have one too... What do you think would be good content for it ? xD
word count: 15
Megan
Mod
Mod

Post by Megan »

Why do you think you're terrible at videos?
word count: 9
Spook of the lost

@ juneberry, honestly the best content is stuff you enjoy for the sake of it, because people enjoy videos more if the person doing them enjoys it as well.
@ megan: I've had my channel since 2011, I tried gaming for a long time but even when I was regular at it I never cracked 10 subs let alone 10k
the videos with the most views are the ones I do on tech so I've been looking into maybe starting it up again with some tech related content, or just building/crafting stuff in general, similar to what I stated to juneberry above.
I enjoy making things so maybe those will get more views?

anyway I've a long ways to go as a youtuber lol.
word count: 126
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

What's your favorite form of crafting?
word count: 7