AMA: Ask the Spook

Here, you're welcome to start a thread for others to ask you anything they might want to know about you! Within reason, of course!
Spook of the lost

Re: AMA: Ask the Spook

Post by Spook of the lost »

well way back in the early 2000's there was this show, courage the cowardly dog.
and an episode really stuck with me.
The tower of Dr Zalost.
it was around that time that I became heavily fascinated with nikola tesla, einstein, and various other eccentric scientists as well as the concept of action scientists/benevolent mad scientists.
later on when I wanted an internet handle that was unique I picked Zalost and added spooky to it after the mysteriousness that comes with exploring the unknown and finding the truth of everything.
word count: 92
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kyng

Post by Kyng »

If you could go back in time and meet the heroes you listed in your first post, what would you ask them?
word count: 22

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Spook of the lost

well for Tesla that's obvious, I'd ask about his insights into electro magnetics and depending on when I arrived possibly some clarification on his "peace ray" particle beam gauss cannon, mostly out of a fascination with it.
Einstein I'd talk to about some of the more recent discoveries with black holes and gravitational waves to get an opinion from the man who theorized a lot of it.
vaun braun I'd be curious on some of the untested or passed on theories and fuels as he was working on rocket theory way back when.
plus both of them I'd ask about their time on the manhattan project, their regrets.
it's always better to hear about stuff from someone directly rather than through a third party.
elon musk... well I could write him an email or ping his twitter... probably won't get a response though, he is a busy man after all.
finally davinci... well honestly I'd ask him a lot about philosophy, art, his thoughts on the world... of course I'd need to work on my latin and italian a bit more first.

mostly though if time travel were possible without wormhole collapse due to feedback loops and accidental timeline hopping/parallel universe trappage I'd see if I could spend time with each of them to get a better grasp on their world view in hopes that I could gain some insights into my own questions and mysteries.

I'd totally do it too... but messing with kerr style naked singularities and travelling along non 3 dimensional plains is dangerous enough without taking planetary gravity, orbital mechanics, and other such problems into consideration lol.
so I'll just have to make do with what I know about them.

good question though.
word count: 300
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

How much Latin and Italian do you speak?
word count: 8
Spook of the lost

well I learned spanish first, I can speak enough of that to haggle and barter successfully, I can read fairly fluently in it.
I've been learning latin along with german however as root languages to help me more easily learn other languages and thanks to my grasp of latin and spanish I've been able to make due with itallian, but I'm far better at reading it and understanding it than speaking it.

I've also been learning japanese because... well I want to visit japan at some point.
in the areas I struggle with I'm lucky that technology can fill the gaps.
it helps with my job too because I work with people all over the world and sometimes they struggle with english so being able to understand the majority of what they're saying helps a lot.
word count: 142
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I wanna go to Japan too one day... But I should really work on knowing more than how to count to 999. xD Latin sounds interesting! Can you teach me some? :D
word count: 31
Spook of the lost

sure, it's actually not too difficult since english, and especially science uses a lot of latin loan words.
one of my favorite sayings in latin is used a lot by space agencies.
"ad astra per aspera" it means, a rough road leads to the stars.
in other words, to reach the stars you must overcome great challenges.

I'm not fluent in it myself but since it's a root language for Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and even at least partially, french, it's super useful.
I personally find it a rather elegant language, it's too bad it's not used much in it's root form these days.
plus you can use it to translate from even older languages using stuff from long ago, if you can read it...
like greek for example.
word count: 135
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I see! That's a great quote you remember. I only know certain words and expressions based on research for a project. ^^;

What's your inspiration for your tinkering? What makes you decide on your projects, basically?
word count: 37
Spook of the lost

sometimes it's a desire to bring something into reality, other times I'm just curious about how something works and while studying it I get ideas.
and sometimes... ideas just sorta form in my head.
when that happens I can sorta see them, I don't always understand what it's supposed to do at first but I'm compelled to make it with the object making more sense the more I research and work on it until it finally becomes real.
it's like a spark of inspiration leads to a compulsion to create.

that's how the wearable computer I'm always working on came to be.
I could see how it's supposed to work in my mind but It took time, effort, and years of research to make a fully functional prototype.

I like to think of it like an inventors fuge, if I don't work on it until I can get to some sort of stopping point it becomes like an itch I have to scratch, I have trouble sleeping, I forget to eat sometimes... but I'm lucky that I have friends and family that look out for me to prevent me from getting too caught up in stuff.

in a way it's like the mad scientists I so admire, only I'm compelled to create things and to help people with problems.

as a side note... I may or may not end up occasionally cackling and muttering to myself while in this state... I've been told that it's difficult to get through to me and I've even lost time not remembering everything but understanding what I was working on.
word count: 282
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

When did you build your first computer?
word count: 7