AMA: Ask the Spook

Here, you're welcome to start a thread for others to ask you anything they might want to know about you! Within reason, of course!
Spook of the lost

Re: AMA: Ask the Spook

Post by Spook of the lost »

Basic, it's been around the longest, and was designed with simplicity in mind... to the point that back in the early days of the personal home computer... before the internet, the alternative to buying simple software was to simply write it, or to buy a basic software book and type it in by hand.

for example hello world, the first program anyone learns is written thus.

10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GO TO 10

this prints the worlds in the quotes over and over again until you stop the program.

it's intuitive until you get to really complex stuff and there have been basic interpreters as long as there have been computers so that program... you can pick up any computer made in the last 40 years, the oldest ones boot to them by default if you don't put in a floppy disc, newer ones you need to load the software.

then type it in.

Assembly is one everyone should learn because that's machine code, it varies from device to device but it's still fairly standardized... this is what we call low level programming, telling the chips exactly what you want to do when given specific inputs.

this is how some of the earliest video games were written.

it's not easy but knowing some level of assembly code provided you have the desire to, will allow you to write code to do anything with anything so long as the hardware can support it in some way.

it's like... with assembly code, and a list of what instructions do what on a specific chip, I could by that chip for less than a dollar, wire it to some switches and components, and program it to do something with that, no operating system, plugins, or other stuff required, just engineering knowledge and an idea of how the chip thinks.

plus when you write a program in any other language that compiles then that compiler converts that language into assembly, so theoretically if you were masterful at it you could side step the need for any programming language... however as stuff get's more complex it's easier to simply use a high level language to save time over over all efficiency.

HTML and C are in the same league, C being a high level language, many languages being based around it's concepts, and HTML being what you use to write websites in... the stuff you can do with HTML 5 though, you can program simple games and programs into websites eliminating the need for javascript, flash, and other plugins and addons.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Do you have any pets?
Spook of the lost

@Juneberry

2 actually.

I have 2 dogs, a Samoyed named Mystic snow wolf (misty for short), and a Pomeranian named Tribble.

this is Misty

and this is Tribble
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

How did you find such adorable doggies?
Spook of the lost

@Juneberry
craigslist mostly...

Misty was bought from a breeder.

and tribble... she was bought from a bar owner in a nearby town that my sister knows.

Tribble though... she loves to play, she's always happy to see me when I come home, I have to literally catch her because she takes flying leaps.
she's the only Pomeranian I've seen/heard of that plays fetch.

as for misty, she's independent but companionable, when I'm not working watching TV at night she frequently lays across my feet lol.

I love them both dearly and Misty is getting up there at 14 years old now, outliving her expected life span and doing reasonably well.
I give her glucosamine for her hips (a known problem with many aging dogs), so that she has an easier time moving.
Tribble just turned a year old back in october.
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

Would you let a stranger pet your puppers?
Spook of the lost

I do... but only where I can keep an eye on things, wouldn't want something bad happening after all... there's been a rash in dog-nappings lately.
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I never heard about that being a current crime trend! Is it specific to where you are, or am I just dense?
Spook of the lost

@Juneberry it's been more common over in denver, just a couple weeks ago some lady had her pom taken from her yard, luckily it was chipped and the suspect was caught but... I don't want to take chances.
Juneberry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry »

I wouldn't want to take a chance either. >w<

If you could have a fictional creature as a pet, which would you choose?