AMA: Ask the Spook

Here, you're welcome to start a thread for others to ask you anything they might want to know about you! Within reason, of course!
Juneberry
Site Admin

Re: AMA: Ask the Spook

Post by Juneberry » 1 week ago

What's the weirdest fact you know?
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost » 1 week ago

that's a good question, and a hard one to answer because I'm not sure what I would consider weird.

however I do know that Quantum singularities (black holes), make a kind of high frequency wave when they merge, and when converted into sound it sorta sounds like someone playing with an analog synth, until suddenly pop! and the weird frequency vanishes...

as far as weird though I'm not quite sure what would be considered weird to most people?
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin

What's something you consider weird in general?
Spook of the lost

fashion, cliques, that sorta thing.

for example, I thought it was bizzare that a recent fashion trend was an extreme version of exposing your midsection, to the point that people are only wearing half a shirt with the bottom cut off.

or like how people band together to intentionally exclude people for being different, I've often thought this was strange, weird, and have no understanding of it.

as I understand it though this is normal to most people.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin

I find most of those weird as well, actually. :3

Have you ever been to a convention for one of your hobbies?
Spook of the lost

not for one of my hobbies no... but I did go to the local comic con once.

it was fun, I tried the oculus rift for the first time there (later got one), and I also bought my satchel there which I use to carry my tablet and solar keyboard.
the satchel says tesla industries on it :lol:
Juneberry
Site Admin

That sounds like a lot of fun! I got to play with drawing tablets at the one I went to this weekend~ I'd have loved to try the oculus rift or something similar!

What do you think is the most vital thing in a full-immersion game for it to be good?
Spook of the lost

Juneberry wrote:
1 week ago
What do you think is the most vital thing in a full-immersion game for it to be good?
That's a touch question to answer because it will vary from person to person.

for me a full-immersion game needs to be immersive, to feel real.

a good example of this for me was dreadhalls.

the graphics weren't hyper realistic or anything however for a VR dungeon crawler it actually made me forget briefly I was in a game.

see it's all about ambiance, atmosphere, and letting yourself forget while playing.

there was a brief moment when I was playing dreadhalls where I actually panicked at being chased by a monster, hid in a dead end room with the door closed, and stood up against the virtual door listening quietly to hear if the monster left.
it was invigorating and actually felt like I was in actual danger.

this is an area games are becoming far better at as technology get's better.
improved frame rates, more detail, and higher resolutions all make it easier to forget you're in a game if you're in it long enough.

so full immersion, it doesn't quite exist yet without a dedicated space, but VR games can definitely generate that sense of questioning whether you're in a game or not.

and I while I didn't die in real life by dying in the game... my heart rate definitely spiked :lol:
Juneberry
Site Admin

Post by Juneberry » 6 days ago

Do you know your average heart rate?
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost » 6 days ago

I don't off hand no...

but I do quite frequently try to control it as part of my daily meditation before bed in the evenings.

I'll usually spend about half an hour or so working to lower it to help me relax.

this also helps me focus my mind so the constant storm of thoughts and ideas doesn't keep me awake.

I guess while I'm not aware of the exact number, I am aware when it spikes or is acting unusual subconsciously.