Custom greeting cards

Whether you want to talk about supplies or how you get inspired, this is the place to talk all things art!
Juneberry
Site Admin

Custom greeting cards

Post by Juneberry » 6 months ago

Ever since I was little, I've handmade about 90% of the holiday, birthday and miscellaneous cards I give to family and close friends. As my boyfriend's birthday comes closer, I'm reminded it's time to do some more card design. And it made me curious...

Does anyone else here make the cards they send out themselves?

So tell me, do you? Have you tried it, or are you thinking of it? I want to hear your viewpoint on this craft I always do. How would you feel getting one? And how would you feel giving one?
Spook of the lost

Post by Spook of the lost » 6 months ago

I like to use my computer to make them :P I'm somewhat decent with inkscape and gimp.

one time I even did a 3D render for the design in Bryce 5 with gimp to do some cool 3D text.

but I've never done the whole collage thing.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Juneberry
Site Admin

I do most of my cards with traditional art, usually using colored pencils and my giant case of gel pens. I do sometimes do my cards on the computer using my comic making program, but I lack access to it right now. Still learning GIMP, as you can see by the site banner and such. :'D
Megan

Post by Megan » 6 months ago

I sometimes did that for Secret Santa's I did online. Don't really anymore though.
Juneberry
Site Admin

I've always done it, so it feels weird if I don't. I also try to plan in advance what kind of design I'm going to use- like, I already know my theme for my boyfriend's. I just have to attempt to draw it.

I've been doing post card swaps this year, and my only complaint is it's hard to decide what to draw sometimes on them- and I have to, because the cards are otherwise totally blank. Just have the stamp on them.
Megan

Post by Megan » 6 months ago

I used to always doodle inside store bought cards too.
Juneberry
Site Admin

Megan wrote:
6 months ago
I used to always doodle inside store bought cards too.
Same. Totally the same here when we use store-bought for huge holidays.